Re: Evolving Evolution... the " Big Bang " theory is a Catholicpriests
Newsgroup: alt.athiesm
Posted by: HiEv
2007-01-04 08:43:21

Bill Carver wrote:
> Robibnikoff wrote:
> > Bill Carver wrote:
> > > Trust me.. To the 78% of the world that believes in God, there is proof.
> >
> > Such as?
>
> Prayers answered. Miracles happening. In my case seeing Jesus
> personally just before I was baptized in 1997.
[snip]

Right. Because no other religion claims to have "answered prayers,"
"miracles," or visions.

Got anything better than anecdotal evidence? Some objective proof,
perhaps? No, of course not. You guys never do.

Stories alone are not "proof." Many are known to be mistakes in
reasoning, statistics, identification, or brain function, causing
something perfectly natural to be mistaken for the supernatural. Heck,
some turn out to be outright hoaxes. Without objective evidence the
stories are worthless as any kind of "proof."

What if I said that pixies answered my friend's prayers? That there
have been miracles created by pixies? Or that I seen pixies
personally? Would you believe me or would you think I was nuts?
Hopefully you'd think that I was nuts. So why are your claims any more
valid than those claims?

Your argument appears to merely be "large numbers of people agree," but
at earlier points in time almost everyone agreed that the Earth was
flat, that the Sun orbited the Earth, that the gods caused lightning and
thunder, etc..., none of which is actually true. There was other
nonsense that was also widely believed, such as entering a building on
your left foot was unlucky (hence "getting off on the right foot,") that
worms spontaneously generated from dirt, that there were fire breathing
dragons, etc... Again, more "unbelievable" nonsense that many people,
in fact, did believe at one time.

So, it is entirely possible that the majority of people can believe
something which is flat wrong. That being the case, you will have to
come up with a better argument for why your God is real, while all other
gods are not.

--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence
has its limits.