Re: Evolving Evolution... the " Big Bang " theory is a Catholic priests invention ( believe it, or not )
Newsgroup: alt.athiesm
Posted by: Martin Phipps
2007-01-04 09:01:57

Bill Carver wrote:

> there is only evidence of evolution because you have faith in the
> religion of science.

Science is not a religion. It does not require faith. It deals in
facts and not mythology.

> You believe that because some plants and animals
> have similar structure that they somehow turned one to the other.

Not just physical similarities but also genetic similarities. And we
don't say thta different species "turned one to the other" but that
different species have common ancester. The fossil record not only
shows that these ancesters exist but also shows that there were species
that went extinct before mankind ever arose, species that were never
mentioned in the Bible. This not only confirms the theory of evolution
but its mechanism, natural selection.

> While
> the progression is there, not one living being has seen a tadpole turn
> into a lion. Just frogs. No lions have turned to birds as I know.

But all mammals do have similar looking embryos. You can't tell a
human embryo from a lion's embryo just by looking at them.
Nevertheless, from these similar embryos, animals of different species
do appear.

> It
> takes just as much faith to believe in evolution as it does creation.

Nonsense, Belief in creationism requires a belief in God. Science
requires no such belief.

> I personally find evolution unimportant in the argument. Evolution if
> it exists does not disprove the existence of God anyway.

Of course not. So why ignore the mountain of evidence supporting
evolution? It just makes you look ignorant to deny that it exists.
Really.

> You just
> think it does.

We just know that in absence of any scientific evidence to support the
belief in God there is no sound reason to believe in God.

Martin