NY Gov. Caught in Prostitution Ring.
Newsgroup: alt.native
Posted by: Red Cloud
2008-03-12 06:32:46

What's wrong with prostitution or adultery? Isn't not normal part of
American political life?
Every american politican needs prostitute by using tax money to fund
hookers.
Mr. Spitzer is not here charged for committing adultery. He charged
for other unlawful
crime that is simply out of the line. He is acted like a mafia
boss.

Spitzer Is Linked to Prostitution Ring
By DANNY HAKIM and WILLIAM K. RASHBAUM

ALBANY - Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who gained national prominence
relentlessly pursuing Wall Street wrongdoing, has been caught on a
federal wiretap arranging to meet with a high-priced prostitute at a
Washington hotel last month, according to a law enforcement official
and a person briefed on the investigation.

The wiretap captured a man identified as Client 9 on a telephone call
confirming plans to have a woman travel from New York to Washington,
where he had reserved a hotel room, according to an affidavit filed in
federal court in Manhattan. The person briefed on the case and the law
enforcement official identified Mr. Spitzer as Client 9.

Mr. Spitzer, a first term Democrat, today made a brief public
appearance during which he apologized for his behavior, and described
it as a "private matter." He did not address his political future.

"I have acted in a way that violates my obligation to my family and
violates my or any sense of right or wrong," said Mr. Spitzer, who
appeared with his wife Silda at his Manhattan office. "I apologize
first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to the public to
whom I promised better."

"I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected
of myself. I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my
family."

Before speaking, Mr. Spitzer stood with his arm around his wife; the
two nodded and then strode forward together to face more than 100
reporters. Both had glassy, tear-filled eyes, but they did not cry.

As he went to leave, three reporters called out, "Are you resigning?
Are you resigning?", and Mr. Spitzer charged out of the room, slamming
the door.

The governor learned that he had been implicated in the prostitution
inquiry when a federal official contacted his staff Friday, according
to the person briefed on the case.

The governor informed his top aides Sunday night and this morning of
his involvement. He canceled his public events today and scheduled the
announcement for this afternoon after inquiries from The Times. The
governor's aides appeared shaken before he spoke, and one of them
began to weep as they waited for him to make his statement at his
Manhattan office.

The Republican state party and a leading Republican legislator called
for the governor to step down. James Tedisco, a Republican Assemblyman
from Schenectady who has clashed loudly and publicly with Mr. Spitzer,
called on the governor to step down if the allegations are true. "The
governor who was going to bring ethics back to New York State, if he
was involved insomething like this," Mr. Tedisco said, "he's got to
leave. I don't think there's any question about that."

As questions swirled about the Governor's political future, a swarm of
reporters gathered outside the office of Lt. Gov. David Paterson, who
by law would become governor if Mr. Spitzer resigns. But his staffers
provided no information.

The man described as Client 9 in the affidavit arranged to meet with a
prostitute who was part of the ring, Emperors Club VIP, on the night
of Feb. 13. Mr. Spitzer traveled to Washington that evening, according
to a person told of his travel arrangements.

The affidavit says that Client 9 met with the woman in hotel room 871
but does not identify the hotel. Mr. Spitzer stayed at the Mayflower
Hotel in Washington on Feb. 13, according to a source who was told of
his travel arrangements. Room 871 at the Mayflower Hotel that evening
was registered under the name George Fox.

The law enforcement official said that several people running the
prostitution ring knew Mr. Spitzer by the name of George Fox, though a
few of the prostitutes came to realize he was the governor of New
York.

Mr. Fox is a friend and donor to Mr. Spitzer. Asked in a telephone
interview Monday whether he accompanied Mr. Spitzer to Washington on
Feb. 13 and Feb. 14, Mr. Fox responded: "Why would you think that? I
did not."

Told that the Room 871 at the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel was
registered in Mr. Fox's name but with Mr. Spitzer's Fifth Avenue
address, Mr. Fox said, "That is the first I have heard of it. Until I
speak to the governor further, I have no comment."

Federal prosecutors rarely charge clients in prostitution cases, which
are generally seen as state crimes. But the Mann Act, passed by
Congress in 1910 to address prostitution, human trafficking and what
was viewed at the time as immorality in general, makes it a crime to
transport someone between states for the purpose of prostitution. The
four defendants charged in the case unsealed last week were all
charged with that crime, along with several others.

Mr. Spitzer had a difficult first year in office, rocked by a mix of
scandal and legislative setbacks. In recent weeks, however, Mr.
Spitzer seemed to have rebounded, with his Democratic party poised to
perhaps gain control of the state Senate for the first time in four
decades.

Though his signature issue was pursuing Wall Street misdeeds, as
attorney general Mr. Spitzer also had prosecuted at least two
prostitution rings as head of the state's organized crime task force.

In one such case in 2004, Mr. Spitzer spoke with revulsion and anger
after announcing the arrest of 16 people for operating a high-end
prostitution ring out of Staten Island.

"This was a sophisticated and lucrative operation with a multitiered
management structure," Mr. Spitzer said at the time. "It was, however,
nothing more than a prostitution ring."

Albany for months has been roiled by bitter fighting and accusations
of dirty tricks. The Albany County district attorney is set to issue
in the coming days the results of his investigation into Mr. Spitzer's
first scandal, his aides' involvement in an effort to tarnish Majority
Leader Joseph L. Bruno, the state's top Republican.

On the second floor of the capitol, aides and staffers to Mr. Spitzer
knew something was wrong Monday morning, as Mr. Spitzer's schedule
began to change and planned meetings and appearances were canceled.
But Mr. Paterson, the lieutenant governor who would succeed Mr.
Spitzer in the event of a resignation, only learned of the allegations
at midday, from an aide to the governor. The rest of the executive
chamber was formally informed at a 6 P.M. general staff meeting, said
one official who was present, where Richard Baum, the governor's top
aide, made no mention of a resignation and urged his colleagues to
keep their heads down and continue as best they could with the day-to-
day work of state government.

Under the state constitution, should Mr. Spitzer resign, Mr. Paterson,
the lieutenant governor would serve the remainder of the Governor's
term.

Mr. Paterson's current office would remain unfilled until the 2010
election, as the constitution makes no provision for filling a vacancy
in the lieutenant governor's office. Under those circumstances, Joseph
L. Bruno, is the Republican majority leader and temporary president of
the state senate, would "perform all the duties of the lieutenant-
governor" until a new one is elected in 2010.

Those duties include acting as governor when the nominal office-holder
is out of the state. Moreover, should Mr. Spitzer resign and if Mr.
Paterson were unwilling or unable to take his place, Mr. Bruno would
become acting governor--a possibility that would hold special irony,
given the vicious and ongoing battles between Mr. Bruno and Mr.
Spitzer over the last year.