Girls rescued from drainage ditch
Newsgroup: clari.web.news.trouble.accidents
Posted by:
2008-07-11 00:24:48

Girls rescued from drainage ditch

Logo [Jul 10]
YellowBrix story US-SAVED from United Press International

Girls rescued from drainage ditch

Copyright 2008 by United Press International (via ClariNet) / Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:24:48 EDT

MIDWEST CITY, Okla., July 10 (UPI) -- Two girls were rescued
from a rain-filled drainage ditch in rural Oklahoma after falling
in, officials said.

Caitlin Kirk, 16, fell in the ditch while trying to rescue
her 8-year-old cousin Chanoa Bennett, who was trapped in the
drainage ditch late Wednesday afternoon, KOCO-TV of Oklahoma City
reported Thursday.

"We were throwing sticks and rocks in there and then it
started raining," Bennett said. "I slipped down and started
screaming."

When Bennett's family tried to rescue her, Kirk fell into
the water, too.

"I kind of turned over to see and I fell in, too. I was down
in there. She was holding this ledge," Kirk said. "I was trying to
hold on to her, but I didn't want to let her go. I just kept on
going and finally found a branch to hang on to."

A nearby construction worker heard the commotion. He and
another man ran to them with a rope.

"I pulled the little girl first and got a hold of her and
calmed her down to get her back across the creek," John Brashers
said.

"I was losing my grip, rope around three fingers, and
pulling me back. I got her up and then

the other electrician jumped and helped me with the other
girl," he said.

bottom [Jul 10]

Icon [Jul 10]