Re: OS account report
Newsgroup: comp.os.linux.security
Posted by: Nico Kadel-Garcia
2008-04-28 16:04:23

Chris Cox wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Chris Cox wrote:
>>> However, you can tweak your own processes and security
>>> policies to enable some of this kind of tracking for
>>> future build outs.
>>
>> Note that this only works if you create accounts *only* with a managed
>> tool. When you have local admins able to create local accounts, and
>> systems such as normal /etc/passwd that don't timestamp accounts, you
>> have a real problem.
>>

> This is why I said this can only be controlled by your own
> "processes and security policies".
>
> What's the best way to keep cars from colliding at an intersection?
>
> 1. Don't drive anymore.
> or
> 2. Come up with rules and traffic signs/signals (which people can
> break, if they want to end up in the hospital).

And don't forget:

3: Take the car away from anyone who doesn't follow the rules, whatever the
rules happen to be.

It's that last part which can be very difficult in a mixed environment. Old
NIS tools, for example, that pubolish UID's below 500 are hell to manage in a
mixed environment. Linux's NIS servers handle the publication limitation well,
most other operating systems do not, including the inventors of NIS, Sun.

Many casual open source authors include a 'useradd' for a specific username in
their installation tools, such as 'apache' for the Apache server, 'nagios' for
Nagios, etc. This breaks down badly if the 'useradd' failes to specify
low-numbered UID's, as backup and account management get confused.

Really, you have to mandate the use of a central system to keep them
synchronized and prevent conflicts. This is an artform!