Re: Central access control system for Linux
Newsgroup: comp.os.linux.security
Posted by: jayjwa
2008-04-30 16:51:00

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:16:48 -0700, Mehdi Sarmadi wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is any solution for Linux systems, desktop
> and servers, which provide central(enterprise) access control system.
> A major feature which people are looking for is central control over
> portable media access of users and workstations.

What, specifically? Do you mean like Radius? Or just something to keep
users/groups all together across machines like NIS/YP?

"GNU Radius is a software package that provides authentication and
accounting services. The acronym RADIUS stands for "Remote
Authentication Dial In User Service" and (in that form) usually denotes
the underlying protocol name.

Historically, RADIUS servers were used as a means to authenticate
the user coming from a dial-in connection, but GNU Radius is much more
than an authentication system: it is an advanced, customizable, and
extensible system for controlling access to the network."

Also, look for lesser-known projects on Freshmeat.net and/or Sourceforge
that might do what you want.