Re: Formula help
Newsgroup: microsoft.public.excel.misc
Posted by: RagDyeR
2007-05-19 16:19:02

BTW ... Just *another* chit in the
"Use Asterisk" column for SumProduct!
--

Regards,

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
news:OqBxfDjmHHA.4840@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
That sounds perfectly logical to me Roger.
Thanks for the explanation.

What I usually do in these situations is select a single argument in the
formula bar, and then evaluate it with .
But since I used the OP's original range, and got the "Formula Too Long"
error message, I immediately truncated the formula range in order to get a
reading.

I just cut it too small.

Looking at it this morning, before reading your post, it was there, staring
me in the face, BUT ... I just didn't see it.

I just not as wide awake as you are!

--

Regards,

RD

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi Rick and Peo

Firstly apologies to the OP, I should have changed the double unaries to
asterisk, not just copied his formula and placed the array around the
two cities.

Peo, the arrays are of the same size, although one of them could have
two outcomes True or False.
These are mutually exclusive however for each cell within the range.

When you use the double unary minus, however, each True or False is
converted instantly into a 1 or 0, so you do end up with a problem.

When you use the asterisk, the coercion to 1's and 0's doesn't take
place until both sets of criteria have been evaluated
Consider the following small example
=SUMPRODUCT(($C$2:C$4={"Ottawa","Toronto"})*($D$2:$D$4="Ontario"))
With C2=Ottawa, C3 =blank and C4 =Toronto
With D2=Ontario, D3 =blank and D4 =Toronto

The result from the first test is
True, False; False, False; False, True
and from the second it is
True; False; True
Note the semicolons as compared with the commas.

Now, when these two arrays are multiplied together with the asterisk,,
only then do we get
1, 0; 0, 0; 0, 1
which sums to 2

With the double unary, the first set of True/False's are changed to
{1, 0; 0, 0; 0, 1}
whilst the second term is still --{True;False;True}
so for the next part of the evaluation, Sumproduct does object because
there are twice as many values in the first term as in the second.

So, I believe it is all due to the order of coercion.

--
Regards

Roger Govier