Re: Setting up with Alcatel Speedtouch modem and Linksys WRT54G HELP
Newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
Posted by: Lem
2007-02-28 21:14:39

schtumm@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Having problems. Have got a broadband internet connection with Pipex
> using an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 Modem which connects direct to phone
> line and then to my computer via USB.
>
> Have just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router but don't know how
> to connect the 2 together to use wireless at home as all the
> connections on the Linksys are Ethernet network sockets and the
> Alcatel has only the USB connection.
>
> Hopefully I can get these 2 working together?!
>
> Do I need a new modem!?
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks!!

Ideally, yes. Perhaps you can persuade Pipex to exchange the Speedtouch
330 for one with an Ethernet connection.

If you have an Ethernet adapter in your main computer (almost all do,
these days), it is possible to have the Speedtouch 330 connected by USB
to your main computer and then share that Internet connection over the
computer's Ethernet adapter to the WRT54G and thence to other wireless
clients (using Windows Internet Connection Sharing). You would be
losing some of the functionality of the WRT54G that you paid for, and
you would have to leave your main computer turned on in order for any
wireless computers to be able to access the Internet this way.

You would be better off getting a DSL modem that connects via Ethernet.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking