Re: More PirÔ Reis maps
Newsgroup: sci.archaeology
Posted by: David Johnson
2007-10-17 18:38:41

Doug Weller wrote in
news:54cbh3husl835jk3b0slh5f5i9safpounq@4ax.com:

>>same and more in an academic site
>>http://www.prep.mcneese.edu/engr/engr321/preis/afet/afet1.thm
>
> Url not found. The site is for:
> McNeese State University
> College of Engineering & Technology
> Engineering 321 - Computer Aided Design
> it contained a quote from the url below. Which only shows that people
> thought if you crossed the Atlantic you'd get to the Far East.

It should be
http://www.prep.mcneese.edu/engr/engr321/preis/afet/afet1.htm

And that brings up this:

Life And Work of the Turkish Admiral: Piri Reis
THE OLDEST MAP OF AMERICA,
DRAWN BY P1RI REIS
by
Prof. Dr. Afetinan
Translated
by:
Dr. Lenian Yolac

TURK TARIH KURUMU BASIMEVI -- ANKARA

1954

...and, of course, the rest of the article.

David

David Johnson home.earthlink.net/~trolleyfan

"So many of you come time and time again to watch this final end of
everything which I think is really wonderful and then to return home to
your own eras and raise families and strive for new and better societies
and fight terrible wars for what you know is right, it gives one real
hope for the whole future of lifekind...

...Except of course we know it hasn't got one."