Re: Greenwich Waterfront Transit - campaign against
Newsgroup: uk.transport.london
Posted by: Tom Anderson
2008-06-17 14:44:34

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, John B wrote:

> On 17 Jun, 06:47, Bearded wrote:
>
>> The answer to our prayers is the Greenwich Waterfront Transit - with
>> dedicated busways or bus lanes linking N Greenwich / Charlton /
>> Woolwich / West Thamesmead and Thamesmead.
>>
>> However Andrew Gilligan of the Evening Standard has decided that it is
>> too expensive and "a vanity project" for TfL. See
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6qlw8f
>>
>> Yes, maybe there are savings to be found - but the bottom line is: We
>> need a better link to London now! What can we do to counter the Gillgan
>> campaign

I doubt you need to do anything. The people who make the decisions aren't
going to be influenced by a passing remark in one article from one local
hack. The best thing you can do is keep your local authority, MLAs and MPs
focused on the mission, and keep an eye out for potential local
opposition. The thing which killed the West London Tram was just that - a
number of the local hard-of-thinking who didn't like the idea of a lane
being taken away from their precious cars.

> The problem is, you lot in Thamesmead aren't rich, you don't drive
> 4x4s or Porsches, you didn't vote Tory and your constituency never
> will. So for the next four years, you can go and get bent as far as
> the Mayor (and hence TfL's investment priorities) is concerned...
>
> [is this reminder of their true priorities going to stop people voting
> Tory in the next election? Don't be silly.]

As you pointed out, Thamesmead mostly didn't vote tory. The people who did
are doubtless only too pleased to hear that their rates aren't going to be
spent on omnibuses for some half-Kentish plebeians.

tom

--
Miscellaneous Terrorists: Ducks | Bird Flu | Avian flu | Jimbo Wales |
Backstreet Boys | The Al Queda Network | Tesco -- Uncyclopedia